STOP LIVING IN PAIN!
Chiropractic for Neck Pain
Chiropractic Treatment For Neck Pain
Neck pain is a common ailment that can significantly impact daily activities. However, many people are unaware of the effective treatments offered by chiropractors who focus on neck issues. At Advantage Chiropractic in New Berlin, Wisconsin, we specialize in providing comprehensive care for individuals suffering from neck pain. Our experienced chiropractors are board certified by the state of Wisconsin and trained in a highly effective method called the Torque Release Technique (TRT).
The most appropriate treatment for neck pain depends on the underlying medical condition causing the discomfort. The good news is that there are steps you can take to treat neck pain and improve your quality of life.
Choosing a chiropractor for neck pain is a beneficial approach to finding relief from neck pain and other issues. Don’t let neck pain hold you back any longer. It’s time to take control of your health and experience the benefits of chiropractic care.
Our Neck Pain Chiropractors in New Berlin, WI
GET YOUR NECK PROBLEMS UNDER CONTROL!
OUR REVIEWS FROM PATIENTS WITH NECK PAIN!
What is neck pain?
Neck pain, or cervicalgia, is a common condition that can have various causes and symptoms. It refers to pain or discomfort experienced in the area of the spine beneath the head. Poor posture, overuse, and awkward sleeping positions are often contributing factors to neck pain.
Osteoarthritis and injuries like whiplash can also result in neck pain. The neck, known as the cervical spine, comprises of vertebrae that extend from the skull to the upper torso. Between these bones, there are cervical discs that act as shock absorbers.
The bones, ligaments, and muscles in the neck provide support for the head and enable its movement. Any abnormalities, inflammation, or injuries to these structures can lead to neck pain or stiffness. Symptoms can vary from persistent aches to shooting or burning pain, which may radiate into the shoulders or arms.
The best treatment depends on the underlying medical condition that is causing nerve damage. The good news is there are steps a patient can take to manage damaged nerve pain and other issues.
Choosing chiropractic care for neck pain is one of the most effective ways to manage discomfort and restore your quality of life.
How does a chiropractic adjustment help neck pain?
A chiropractic neck adjustment, also known as cervical manipulation, helps relieve acute neck pain and chronic neck pain by correcting spinal misalignments. This helps improve joint mobility, reduce inflammation, muscle spasms, and pain. Neck pain chiropractors may recommend strengthening exercises, stretches, mobilizations, and a therapeutic massage to address neck problems.
They use various techniques to adjust the spine, employing low-force and manual approaches based on individual needs. Chiropractic care for neck pain is often a recommended treatment which offers a comprehensive and proactive approach. By consulting with a chiropractor, individuals can receive personalized guidance to manage and alleviate severe neck pain effectively.
Causes of Neck Pain:
Neck pain can stem from various underlying causes, including muscle strains, degenerative conditions, neck injury, and diseases. Understanding the root cause is important for effective diagnosis and treatment.
Causes of Neck Pain:
- Muscle strains: Overuse and activities that strain the neck muscles, such as prolonged computer use or reading in bed.
- Worn joints and bone spurs: Age-related degeneration of neck joints, leading to osteoarthritis and the formation of bone spurs.
- Nerve compression: Herniated discs or bone spurs in the cervical spine that press on nerves branching from the spinal cord.
- Injuries: Trauma, such as whiplash from automobile accidents or falls, can damage muscles, ligaments, and nerve roots.
- Degenerative conditions: These occur due to wear and tear over time. An example of these conditions include cervical degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis. This narrowing of the spinal canal and compression of nerves can cause pain and other symptoms.
- Poor posture: Prolonged slouching or hunching over electronic devices can strain the neck, causing pain.
- Sleeping in awkward positions: Incorrect head angles or twisting during sleep can result in a stiff neck.
- Repetitive motions: Continuous and repetitive head movements, such as dancing or swimming, can strain neck muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
- Emotional stress: Stress and anxiety can lead to muscle tension in the neck, resulting in pain and stiffness.
- Infections: Inflammation due to cervical spine infections, including conditions like meningitis.
- Growths: Masses such as tumors, cysts, or bone spurs can exert pressure on nerves in the neck, causing acute pain.
- Other health conditions: Certain diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and spondylolisthesis can contribute to neck pain.
Chiropractors can assess the cause of neck pain. They can provide various care options, from conservative methods to spinal manipulations and therapeutic exercises.
Symptoms of Neck Pain
Recognizing the symptoms of neck pain is crucial for both individuals and chiropractors in understanding and effectively treating patients. By identifying the symptom, chiropractors can provide targeted care, a treatment plan, and support to alleviate long lasting chronic pain.
- Pain aggravated by prolonged periods of holding the head in one position, such as during computer work or driving.
- Tight muscles and spasms in the neck region.
- Limited range of motion, experiencing difficulty moving the head and neck.
- Headaches, which can be localized or radiate from the neck to the shoulders or arms.
- Stiffness in the neck, shoulders, and upper back.
- Numbness or tingling sensation (pins and needles) in the shoulders or arms.
- Sharp, stabbing, or burning pain in the neck area.
- General soreness or tenderness throughout the neck region.
- Radicular pain that radiates along the nerves from the neck into the shoulder and arm.
- Cervical radiculopathy, which may cause neurological deficits in the arm due to nerve root compression.
- Trouble gripping or lifting objects due to numbness or weakness in the arm or fingers.
- Sleep disturbances and difficulty with daily activities that involve neck movement.
Chiropractors are experts in spinal health and alignment. They can use different techniques and therapies to help their patients. This can reduce symptoms, improve neck function, and provide pain relief.
FIX YOUR NECK PAIN!
OVER 200+ REVIEWS FROM PATIENT'S WITH NECK PROBLEMS!
When to see a chiropractor for neck pain?
Knowing when to seek a chiropractor for neck pain is important. Here are key indicators to consider:
- Unexplained or chronic neck pain: If the pain persists or lacks a clear cause, it’s time to see a chiropractor.
- Headaches and migraines: Chiropractic care can help with tension headaches and migraines related to neck and spine misalignments.
- Limited range of motion: If your neck movement is restricted or stiff, seeking chiropractic care can improve joint mobility.
- Muscle and joint pain: Persistent pain in the neck, shoulders, or other areas may benefit from chiropractic interventions.
- Recent accidents or injuries: Consult a chiropractor if you experience neck pain after a car accident or sports injury.
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness: These symptoms, coupled with neck pain, may indicate nerve-related issues that chiropractic care can address.
- Persistent pain despite home remedies: If at-home treatments fail to relieve neck pain, it’s advisable to seek professional help.
Seeking care promptly allows for a thorough examination, accurate diagnosis, and personalized treatment plan. It can lead to faster recovery and prevent the problem from worsening.
How does a chiropractor diagnose neck pain?
Chiropractors take a holistic approach to diagnose neck pain, considering the entire spine and the overall well-being of the individual. Chiropractors aim to pinpoint the specific cause of neck pain.
They do this through a thorough examination. This includes assessing spinal movement, posture, and alignment. They also review medical history and utilize imaging tests such as X-rays.
This comprehensive evaluation enables them to create a personalized treatment plan tailored to the patient’s needs. If surgical intervention is deemed necessary, chiropractors will refer patients to spine surgeons. By addressing the underlying causes of neck pain, chiropractic care provides effective and individualized care for optimal recovery.
Chiropractors may use specialized diagnostic techniques, such as palpation, range of motion tests, and neurological assessments. These techniques help to assess the condition of the neck and surrounding structures.
Chiropractors use additional assessments to gain more information about the neck pain. This helps them to make a more accurate diagnosis. Chiropractors can provide a thorough assessment and holistic treatment for neck pain by using these diagnostic tools and techniques.
What are alternative treatments for neck pain?
Exploring alternative therapies can be an effective way to manage neck pain. These therapies can provide relief without the need for surgery. They can also improve overall well-being.
- Use pain relievers and pain medications.
- Follow dosage instructions.
- Consider a TENS unit and a soft neck collar.
- Alternate heat and cold therapy.
- Perform home exercises.
- Focus on proper stretching techniques.
- Reduce stress levels.
- Engage in yoga.
- Try acupuncture therapy to increase blood flow.
- Seek massage therapy.
- Consider spinal and neck adjustments from a chiropractor.
- Joint mobilization techniques from a physical therapist.
- Practice meditation, and relaxation techniques.
- Consider treatments like epidural steroid injections and nerve blockers from a licensed physician.
How to prevent neck pain?
Tips for Finding neck Pain Relief:
- Maintain good posture: Keep your head centered over your spine, aligning your shoulders and ears in a straight line. Avoid prolonged bending of the neck when using electronic devices.
- Take regular breaks: If you lead a seated lifestyle, make an effort to move around and stretch. Give your neck and shoulder muscles a break from sitting or computer work for extended periods.
- Set up an ergonomic workstation. Adjust your chair, desk and computer monitor. This will help ensure proper alignment. It will also reduce strain on your neck and shoulders.
- Be mindful of tech neck: Limit the time spent looking down at your phone or tablet. Hold devices at eye level and prop them on a pillow to maintain a more neutral neck position.
- Practice proper sleep positions: Sleep on your side or back, avoiding stomach sleeping that can strain the neck and low back.
- Keep your prescription up to date. Make sure your eye glasses prescription is current. This will help prevent neck discomfort caused by leaning the head back.
- Avoid excessive pillow use: Using too many pillows can restrict neck movement during sleep.
- Understand your capabilities: Take precautions when participating in activities that may put strain on the neck and back. Ask for help when lifting heavy objects.
- Get quality sleep: Adequate and restful sleep plays a crucial role in musculoskeletal health, including reducing the risk of neck pain.
Incorporate preventative measures into your daily routine. This will help promote proper posture and reduce strain on the neck. Minimizing the risk of neck pain is the result. Remember to consult with your chiropractor for personalized advice and treatment options if you experience persistent neck pain.
Neck Exercises and Stretches Video
Chiropractic care is an effective and proactive approach to managing neck pain. Chiropractors offer a holistic approach to help patients with neck pain. They address the underlying causes and create personalized treatment plans.
This helps alleviate discomfort and improve overall health. If you have tried every solution to fix your neck problems, it is time to seek help from a neck pain chiropractor. See if they can provide a solution.
Ready to Get Started?
At Advantage Chiropractic, we want to help you feel your best. By treating the underlying source of your neck pain, ensuring your joints are properly aligned, and the surrounding muscles can function as they should, you can enjoy an improved range of motion, flexibility, and a pain-free life.
We take a holistic approach to pain management and believe that regular chiropractic care can have you feeling your best while preventing some injuries, back pain, and discomfort in the future. We also work with patients of all ages and can provide safe, effective, and gentle chiropractic treatment for the entire family.
Questions about Neck Pain
Neck pain can be categorized based on its duration and underlying cause. Acute neck pain occurs suddenly, often as a result of an injury like a strain or sports-related incident. It typically lasts for less than 4 weeks. On the other hand, chronic neck pain develops gradually and may not have a specific identifiable cause. It persists for at least 3 months. Additionally, there is a gray area known as subacute pain, which lasts between 4 weeks and 3 months. Understanding these distinctions helps in determining the appropriate treatment for neck pain.
Concerns about the safety of chiropractic procedures are often unfounded. When performed by a licensed and skilled chiropractor, spinal manipulation, particularly for neck pain, is a safe and effective treatment option.
For optimal results, the number of chiropractic sessions required may vary depending on the type of injury or pain, typically ranging from four to twelve sessions. Ongoing maintenance is crucial to prevent pain recurrence and mitigate the risk of further injuries caused by spinal misalignment.
Backed by numerous studies, chiropractic is a proven and safe treatment for neck pain. This holistic approach, classified as a complementary and alternative medicine, targets the spine’s impact on the musculoskeletal and nervous systems, promoting the body’s natural healing abilities.