Achieve Victory Over Esports Injuries: Chiropractors Can Help!
Table of Contents
Chiropractor For Esports Injuries
Esports is one of the fastest growing sports where individuals and teams engage in video game tournaments around the globe. It is estimated that the audience has grown to nearly 500 million people worldwide since its rise to popularity. But beneath the digital glory is a real world concern: the physical toll it has taken on its players. Much like traditional athletes, esports competitors aren’t immune to injuries. Chiropractic care has emerged as an important healthcare measure by addressing these physical demands of professional esports athletes or passionate gamers by promoting both top tier performance and overall well being.
Dr. Zach Bruley: “We use tailored chiropractic care to address the neck, back, wrist and postural issues esports athletes face from repetitive play and improve joint mobility.”
Highlights and key takeaways from this article:
- Chiropractic care and manual therapy techniques are great alternative tools for treating musculoskeletal problems commonly experienced by gamers due to overuse, repetitive stress, or strain.
- Regular chiropractic visits can reduce the risk of future sports injuries and promote overall physical wellness.
- Therapeutic exercises and rehabilitation play a crucial role in injury prevention, symptom management, and performance enhancement for esports athletes.
- Improved posture, spinal alignment, increased range of motion, and flexibility contribute to enhanced recovery times and improved gaming performance.
Understanding Esports Injuries
Esports athletes often experience a range of injuries, from repetitive stress injuries to musculoskeletal and postural issues, primarily due to prolonged sitting periods.
Common Injuries Among Esports Athletes
Being a professional esports athlete poses injury risks. A recent study found 56% reported eye fatigue, 42% neck and back pain, 36% wrist pain, and 32% hand pain – indicating overuse issues from repetitive play are highly prevalent. Causes include improper posture, long durations gripping gaming mice, and repetitive stress on specific muscles. Addressing these factors is key to preventing progressive injuries.
Here are some of the most common health issues experienced by gamers:
- De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis or Gamer’s Thumb: This overuse injury affects the tendons in the wrists and thumbs due to repetitive actions such as pressing keys on a gaming mouse or keyboard. It can cause pain, swelling, and even numbness in these areas.
- Gamer’s Wrist or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS): This condition is caused by excessive use of our hands during long gaming sessions, particularly when using ‘claw grip’ gaming mice setups. It can result in paresthesia-like symptoms such as tingling and numbness running through our hand to forearm, which can affect motor functions like aim/accuracy or typing speed if left untreated.
- Neck & Shoulder Pain: Sitting in an uncomfortable position with a slouched posture for extended periods can put extra pressure on your neck muscles, leading to more severe chronic neck conditions like cervical disc bulges/herniation. Ergonomic chair setup and good posture habits are essential preventative measures.
- Forearm Pain: Rapid micro-movements, such as twitch aiming, can lead to painfully swollen tendons around our elbows. Muscle strains can also occur from intense tournaments or even from shouting out loud to encourage teammates.
- Joint Stiffness Or Soreness Especially Around Elbows & Knees: Repetitive motion activities other than mousing can increase the likelihood of experiencing extreme joint stiffness. It’s crucial to have proper physical recuperation mechanisms and adequate recovery periods between tournaments to avoid stress fractures and inflammatory reactions.
Causes and Risk Factors
The primary cause of esports injuries is overuse and repetitive stress or strain on muscles, tendons, ligaments, and other musculoskeletal tissues. Abruptly increasing the intensity of gaming for long periods without proper rest can lead to injuries in the arms, hands, wrists, neck, and back due to poor posture.
Additionally, the sedentary lifestyle associated with esports can lead to further health issues such as obesity and impaired blood circulation. A study found 40% of esports athletes do not participate in any form of physical exercise outside of gaming. This sedentary lifestyle further contributes to prevalent issues like neck, back, and wrist pain.
Without balancing gaming with proper rest and physical activity, players risk progressive injuries and impact on their overall health. Being proactive and addressing these common physical demands is key for both performance and long-term wellbeing. Seeking tailored medical services can help prevent escalation of minor injuries that may otherwise go untreated.
Dr. Evan Norum:
“Whether you’re a professional gamer or hobbyist, taking preventative steps like proper ergonomics, stretching, and regular chiropractic check-ups can make a world of difference in avoiding injuries long-term.”
The Role of Chiropractic Care in Esports Injury Management
Chiropractors specialize in treatments that can mitigate and reduce the risk of musculoskeletal injury for professional esports athletes.
Chiropractic Adjustments for Musculoskeletal Issues
Chiropractic adjustments are a crucial part of managing musculoskeletal issues common among esports athletes. These treatments help alleviate spasms, stiffness, and pain associated with sports injuries or the use of computers and video games.
Recent studies have demonstrated that chiropractic treatment, especially in the cervical spine area, can be a highly effective therapy for treating gaming-related injuries. By improving joint mobility, reducing pain levels, and normalizing nerve function and muscle activation, chiropractors can provide significant relief from these common ailments.
Moreover, chiropractors offer helpful tips on preventing further muscular injury or developing postural problems commonly found in gamers due to overuse of technology devices.
Manual Therapy Techniques for Pain Relief
Dr. Zach Bruley: “Combining spinal adjustments to restore alignment along with corrective exercises, soft tissue techniques, and postural retraining allows us to resolve pain and get gamers back to competing safely.”
Manual therapy is an important tool for treating and managing pain among esports athletes. Chiropractors use techniques like soft tissue massage, joint manipulation, mobilization, and exercise rehabilitation to identify and treat musculoskeletal injuries caused by gaming.
By aligning the spine and reducing strain on joints or muscles, manual therapy ensures the overall physical wellness of an esports athlete. The adjustment techniques also help relax tightened tissues, promoting improved blood circulation in the body.
This increased flow of oxygen through the body can not only improve performance but also reduce a gamer’s recovery time after experiencing an injury. Furthermore, manual therapy exercises help maintain strong core strength, which is essential for gamers as they spend long hours gaming.
Therapeutic Exercises and Rehabilitation for Improved Performance
Therapeutic exercises and rehabilitation play a key role in injury prevention, symptom management, and performance enhancement for esports athletes. Many of the same exercises used by traditional athletes are applicable to esports players as well. These include dynamic stretching routines, core strengthening exercises, mobility drills, plyometric or agility training activities, and balance workout routines that target postural control.
Additionally, recovery techniques such as foam rolling and tissue massage can help to limit soreness and enhance flexibility. Incorporating these targeted movements into an esports athlete’s routine pre-and post-exercise period is highly encouraged for gaming performance optimization while helping to prevent common injuries associated with competitive gaming activity.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Esports Athletes
Chiropractic care offers esports athletes enhanced recovery, improved posture and spinal alignment, and increased range of motion and flexibility.
Dr. Taylor Moore: “We work closely with our esports patients on optimizing their training space setup, movement patterns, and nutrition and recovery routines to enhance performance. Addressing musculoskeletal imbalances early is key.”
Enhanced Recovery and Injury Prevention
Chiropractic care can provide a range of benefits for esports athletes, particularly in regards to recovery and injury prevention. For example, chiropractors use specific assessments to identify any muscular imbalances or joint restrictions present in gamers which could affect their performance and cause pain.
With careful manipulation and adjustment techniques such as spinal decompression, muscles are re-aligned while increasing blood flow and decreasing inflammation throughout the body – leading to faster healing times for injuries sustained during intense gaming sessions.
Furthermore, chiropractors may suggest therapeutic exercises aimed at improving flexibility, stability, strength or coordination needed by esports athletes as part of recovery programs that enforce healthy training habits long term.
Improved Posture and Spinal Alignment
Chiropractic care can help esports athletes improve their posture and spinal alignment. Poor posture from prolonged gaming can lead to potential musculoskeletal issues such as tension headaches, neck pain, lower back pain, shoulder tightness and joint restriction throughout the body.
Chiropractic adjustments provide careful manipulation of the spine to realign vertebrae that have shifted out of place due to excessive stress or strain on the muscle tissues surrounding them.
This spinal adjustment helps restore correct mobility and stability of joints thereby reducing pressure on nerves and improving blood circulation. Additionally, chiropractic care has been known to increase range of motion in joints and muscles which subsequently triggers better balance during gameplay resulting in better performance.
Increased Range of Motion and Flexibility
Chiropractic care can be highly beneficial for those engaged in eSport activities as practitioners offer techniques to help improve range of motion and flexibility. Regular chiropractic adjustments, manual therapy, therapeutic exercises, and focused rehabilitation programs may all have the potential to improve mobility at the joints.
This allows athletes to make moves that require rapid and accurate responses with greater ease thanks to improved joint mobility. All this helps reduce the risk of injury seen from repetitive or strenuous movements required from gaming competitions as well as enhancing performance capabilities in terms of speed, strength, and accuracy when going up against other gamers.
Chiropractors can also use soft tissue massage techniques like Active Release Therapy (ART) to target muscles surrounding specific joints which increases blood flow while releasing tension built-up over time.
Locating a Chiropractor Specialized in Esports Injuries
Identifying the right chiropractor for esports injuries is a critical step that can significantly enhance your gaming performance. It’s not a decision to be taken lightly, and it demands careful research and consideration. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you find the right professional:
- Explore Local Options: Start by looking for chiropractors in your local area who are familiar with gaming-related injuries. They should have a deep understanding of common gaming-related issues such as “Gamer’s Thumb,” “Gamer’s Wrist,” neck and shoulder pain, forearm pain, and joint stiffness.
- Check Their Experience: Ensure that they have a track record of treating esports athletes. Their experience in this specific field will make them more equipped to understand and address your unique needs.
- Look for Endorsements: Check if they have received endorsements or recognition from gaming communities or organizations. This can serve as a testament to their expertise and credibility.
- Seek Recommendations: Reach out to gaming communities and organizations for recommendations. Professional gaming organizations often provide advice on injury prevention and management strategies for gamers. They can guide you towards chiropractors who have proven to be effective in their field.
- Leverage Online Forums: Platforms like Reddit and Discord are rich sources of firsthand experiences and advice from fellow gamers. Stay updated with the latest discussions to gain insights into different therapy treatments and professionals.
- Learn from Experienced Gamers: Many seasoned gamers have navigated the path you’re on and can provide valuable recommendations. Consider joining a local esports community or attending events to connect with these veterans. Listen to their experiences, both positive and negative, before making a final decision.
Preventing Esports Injuries
When it comes to gaming-related injuries, prevention is always better than cure. By being proactive and making small adjustments to your routine and setup, you can help protect your body from the repetitive stresses of esports. This section will provide tips and best practices to help safeguard your health and optimize your performance.
Dr. Evan Norum:“Gamers should view their body as carefully as they do their PC setup. We help identify areas of weakness and compensate through targeted chiropractic and rehab work.”
Optimize Your Ergonomic Setup
Investing in ergonomic gaming equipment is a wise step for injury prevention. Look for a high-quality chair with adjustable features like seat height, armrests, and lumbar support. Position your monitor directly in front of you, at eye level, approximately 20 inches from your face. Use peripherals such as wrist rests, ergonomic keyboards and mice to minimize strain on your hands, wrists, and forearms. Customizing your setup to suit your body’s needs is crucial.
Warm Up Before Matches
Devoting 5-10 minutes to warm up your muscles prior to gaming is highly recommended. Neck stretches and shoulder rolls are ideal preparatory activities. You may also consider incorporating dynamic warm-up routines such as arm circles, torso twists, wrist flexions, and range of motion exercises to activate muscles and increase blood flow. Proper warm-ups help prevent injury and enhance performance.
Maintain Proper Posture
Remind yourself to sit upright during gameplay with your shoulders back and core engaged. Poor posture like hunching forward can strain muscles over time. Set posture reminders for yourself and take regular short breaks – even just 1-2 minutes hourly – to correct your posture. Proper spinal alignment reduces fatigue.
Take Regular Breaks
Schedule a longer 5-10 minute break every 45-60 minutes to stand, stretch, and move around. Frequent short breaks are vital for preventing muscle fatigue and eye strain.
Stay Hydrated and Nourished
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and avoid excessive caffeine or sugar, which can dehydrate muscles. Fuel your focus by eating nutritious snacks like fruits, vegetables and proteins. Proper nutrition makes a difference.
Vary Physical Activity
Complement your esports training with other physical activities to avoid overuse injuries. Options like light cardio, yoga, or strength training can counterbalance the repetitive nature of gaming.
Consult a Chiropractor
Schedule regular chiropractic check-ups to optimize your gaming ergonomics, identify muscle imbalances early, and proactively address any concerns. Chiropractors can help prevent progressive injuries.
Implementing tailored ergonomics, healthy habits, stretching, and chiropractic care provides the best defense against gaming-related injuries. Listen to your body and be proactive.
1. What is a chiropractor for esports injuries?
A chiropractor for esports injuries is a specialized healthcare professional who offers chiropractic care tailored specifically to gamers and esports players. They focus on diagnosing, treating, and preventing musculoskeletal injuries commonly associated with gaming and esports.
2. How does chiropractic care benefit gamers?
Chiropractic care provides several benefits to gamers. It can help alleviate pain and improve overall health, especially when it comes to issues like wrist, neck, and lower back pain. Chiropractors use techniques such as chiropractic adjustments to enhance joint mobility, reduce the risk of overuse injuries, and promote proper posture during gaming sessions.
3. What are the most common injuries among esports players?
The most common injuries among esports players include carpal tunnel syndrome, gamer’s thumb, neck pain, and lower back pain. These issues often arise from the repetitive strain and prolonged periods of time spent in poor posture while gaming.
4. Can chiropractic care help prevent common gaming injuries?
Yes, chiropractic care can help prevent common gaming injuries. By addressing postural imbalances, promoting proper ergonomics, and providing guidance on exercises and stretches, chiropractors can help gamers minimize the risk of overuse injuries and repetitive strain injuries.
5. What role does posture play in gaming injuries?
Posture plays a significant role in gaming injuries. Prolonged gaming sessions with poor posture can lead to muscle imbalances, joint misalignments, and increased stress on certain body parts like the neck, shoulders, and lower back. Chiropractors can assess and correct postural issues to prevent or alleviate associated injuries.
6. How does chiropractic care help with wrist and forearm pain?
Chiropractic care can help with wrist and forearm pain by addressing underlying factors such as joint restrictions, muscle tightness, and nerve impingements. Chiropractors use various techniques, including soft tissue therapies and adjustments, to restore proper function and range of motion to the affected areas.
7. Can chiropractic adjustments benefit esports players?
Yes, chiropractic adjustments can benefit esports players. These adjustments help realign the spine and other joints, leading to improved overall function, reduced pain, and enhanced performance. Regular adjustments can also help prevent injuries and optimize a gamer’s musculoskeletal health.
8. How can chiropractors alleviate neck and lower back pain in gamers?
Chiropractors can alleviate neck and lower back pain in gamers through a combination of chiropractic adjustments, targeted exercises, and ergonomic recommendations. By addressing any underlying issues causing the pain, chiropractors can help relieve discomfort and improve the gamer’s overall well
Esports athletes face immense risk of musculoskeletal injuries and pain due to the physical demands of competitive gaming. Chiropractic care is invaluable for addressing these repetitive stress injuries and promoting overall wellness.
When selecting a chiropractor, search for one experienced in treating esports-related health issues specifically. Consult fellow gamers for referrals and verify endorsements from gaming organizations.
Treatments may incorporate spinal adjustments, soft tissue massage, joint mobilization exercises, and rehabilitative routines to realign the spine, increase flexibility, and strengthen important muscle groups.
Preventative care is key. Maintain proper posture and ergonomics. Stretch thoroughly and take regular breaks during gameplay. Chiropractors can provide posture assessments and optimize your gaming setup.
Combining chiropractic care with healthy gaming habits allows esports athletes to enhance performance, accelerate injury recovery, and enjoy longer careers. Visiting a specialist chiropractor can enable gamers to pursue their passion while safeguarding physical health.
About the Author
Dr. Evan Norum, co-owner of Advantage Chiropractic, holds a Doctorate of Chiropractic from Northwestern Health Sciences University. Inspired by personal experiences with chiropractic care, he specializes in family-based treatments and is board-certified in the Torque Release Technique®. With internships at leading chiropractic centers and co-founding Advantage Chiropractic, Dr. Evan Norum is dedicated to promoting health from within.